Friday, November 17, 2006

Christmas madness - part one: November

I am not a big fan of the holiday season in the US. It is all about buying buying buying. Shopping malls become madhouses. I know because I used to live across one for two years. Out of the blue, a friend you might meet once a year, will show up with a Christmas gift because you are such great friends. (A better gift would have been to meet for a beer outside of the holiday season.)

It isn't even Thanksgiving yet and the Christmas decorations are out. No, not just in the stores, but in the street. People's houses glow in the light of the Christmas lights. A neighbour across the street already put up her Christmas tree.

Today, while grocery shopping, we came across reversible Christmas wrapping paper. My wife joked: "Have they run out of Christmas ideas?" I just thought there might be light at the end of the Christmas madness tunnel.

No comments: