Sunday, March 11, 2007

The best organic food


The best organic food is what's grown closest to you. I just finished reading an article about organic food vs local food: Eating better than organic. Coincidentally, my wife was giving my back a massage, because I had been working the garden most of the day. I couldn't agree more with the article: buy local and buy organic! Or better even, harvest locally. I harvest my own vegetables and fruits. Here's a sampling of what's in our garden:

The fruits:
  1. All winter we have fresh oranges, right outside the kitchen door.
  2. In summer we harvest tons of apples. Last year, I did prune the apple tree and the harvest was dramatically less. Hopefully this year the tree bounces back from the shock of what must have his first trimming ever, as it doesn't resemble the size of an apple tree.
  3. We have raspberries and blue berries which my wife planted in the back.
  4. I planted last year a lemon tree.
The vegetables:
  1. My favorite vegetables are tomatoes (although technically it is a fruit, isn't it). This weekend I sowed two types of tomato seeds: they are sprouting in the kitchen.
  2. So are two planters of spinach.
  3. My office at work is the best green house: two big windows on the west side of the building. Currently I have radishes and spinach growing, almost ready to planted in the full soil in the garden.
  4. Bock Choy is already growing in the vegetable garden.
  5. I planted this weekend corn and
  6. green beans
  7. Hot peppers still have be added.
The herbs:
  1. Sage (3 types)
  2. Parsley
  3. Oregano
  4. Thyme
  5. Rosemary
A couple of more vegetables and herbs will be added in the coming month. For now, it is the battle of keeping the clover out, those lovely yellow flowers, yet overtaking weed.

If you are interested in finding out more about buying local food, check out these links, reference in the article:

No comments: